Sunday, September 18, 2011

Jambalaya, crawfish pie and a filet gumbo

If the title didn't tip you off, I was craving cajun food. I have made etouffee once or twice, it was good, and some cajun chicken pasta. But never tried my hand at Jambalaya. It awlays sounded like something I wouldn't be able to get David to eat. This particular recipe I came across actually called for baking and serving it in a zucchini boat. Now, while David has recently discovered that Zucchini is pretty good, I have to be very careful how I tread here. I don't want to scare him off. But I went ahead and gave it a go.
I find the biggest problem with cajun recipes is the green peppers. My hubs really doesn't like them at all. But from experience, I know you really need them to add that true flavor. So if I chop them super fine. I mean, almost pureed, i can get them in. If he doesn't see them, the taste blends in and contributes over all and it isn't an issue. It just means a little extra work.  I actually do put it through the food processor.
Bt this recipe turned out really well. REALLY Well. We loved it. And I would say it is simple enough for a week night meal. Give it a try.
Adapted from the St Pete Times
Jambalaya Stuffed Zucchini
2 medium zucchini - halved lengthwise
1/4 t salt
1/4t garlic powder
1/4t blk pepper
1 T Olive oil
1 small red onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 C diced green bell pepper
1/2C diced celery
1/4 C Tomato paste
1/2 t cajun seasoning ( I used Zatarains Creole)
1t hot sauce
1t Worcestershire
1/2 C chopped andouille sausage
1/2 C shredded cooked chicken
1 C cooked brown rice
Juice of half lemon

Heat oven to 400.
Scrape out and discard seeds from zucchin, creating canoes. Sprinkle with S/ P garlic powder, set on baking sheet.
In a large skillet over medium, heat the olive oil. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, 4- 5 mins.
Add green pepper and celery and cook another 4 mins until soft. Add tomato paste, cajun seasoning, hot sauce and worcestershire sauce. Cook until the mixture becomes aromatic and begins to darken in color, about 2 - 3 mins.
Stir in sausage and chicken and rice. Adjust seasoning with S/P and lemon juice. Scoop into zucchini boats.
Roast for 20 mins or until boat is soft.
(the recipe also called for shrimp, feel free to add that).

1 comment:

  1. Is this one being tested at work tomorrow? :)

    ReplyDelete