Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I came upon a new food blog. Every time I do, I get a twinge of guilt, because I know that is one more day I won't open one of the cookbooks in my cupboard. I love those books, I do. I need to find a way to get them out of the closed up cabinet and displayed. I think that is my new goal. Now that I have a new goal with the neglected books, I can move on to the new recipe! 
So this new blog is "Big Girls, Small Kitchen". From what I can tell, the big means grown up, not large. They are two 20 somethings who have been friends and budding cooks since Jr High. Now they are providing recipes and entertaining tips for their generation using simple techniques and a simple pantry. I enjoyed browsing the site. They are doing noble work. And I will tell you, this recipe was AB FAB!! David and I reallllly enjoyed it. It has a mexican flavor and not an awful lot of effort. Thanks to the fine gentlemen at Surf and Turf, the chicken was cleaned beautifully and ready to throw in. I need to find a good reliable chorizo. The one I got is super tasty, but it is a dried sausage and can be tough. It is a perfect bite for a charcuterie tray, (with some Manchego cheese!) but it worked out ok in this one. Chicken, Chorizo (Spanish sausage), cumin, chili, and of course onions and garlic. (let me add real quick that Spice Islands makes some really stand out spices these days)  And two of my current go to favorite flavors, lime and cilantro. A delightful creaminess is the result of heavy cream and sour cream. Round this out with a couple of pantry staples; flour, chicken broth, butter S & P, and rice for girth and texture and you have a weeknight meal to make you feel like its Fiesta!! 
This dish is one of those that really lend itself to experimentation. I think it would be pretty amazing with some poblano peppers, maybe a Queso Fresco cheese, maybe some seafood. I would also like to try some different grains, not just a rice but maybe farro?  Lots of ideas, but try it straight up as the quarter century girls wrote it. It will make you feel young and 20 something again. Or not, but you'll enjoy it.  
Chicken/Chorizo Casserole adapted from BGSK
Ingredients
1/2 pound chorizo
1  pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
4 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 teaspoons ancho chile powder (or chili powder)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 lime, juiced
3 cups cooked long grain white rice
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
3 cups coarsely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
In a large cast iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Brown the chorizo until nicely charred and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and 1 teaspoon of the ancho chili powder. Add to the skillet and cook on both sides until browned and cook through, about 15 minutes. Note: if your pan is big enough, you can brown both meats at the same time.
Add the butter and the onions to the pan and saute, scrapping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, remaining chili powder, cumin, salt, and flour. Cook for a few minutes, until the flour has become fully incorporated. Whisk in the broth and simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cream, sour cream, and lime juice. Gently simmer over medium-low heat until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
In the meantime, cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes, and slice the chorizo. Carefully fold in the meats, cooked rice, and cilantro. Use the back of your spatula to even the top of the casserole. Sprinkle the cheese over the top, and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted, bubbling, and beginning to brown.
Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve straight from the pan.



1 comment:

  1. sounds interesting. I guess you ate it before the picture could be taken, lol.

    ReplyDelete