Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Blogging a blog

With the price of groceries as they are, I am trying to shop only once a week, and to make things that I can double up on, or re-work the second time around. One of the most versatile ways to do that is with Rotisserie chicken. Boy are those little guys useful! I can get two dinners and a lunch out of a larger size one. And if you go to Costco, they are large and right around $5. Love them. And I love my dad for bringing them for me. Actually I guess I get three dinners, because my dad will buy one, take a leg off, then leave me the rest. So tonight I decided to use a recipe I had set aside from a blog called 'The Girl who ate Everything'. I saw the title and wondered who had been watching me. But it was another food lover, and she had this recipe called "Chicken Pillows". Sounds absolutely wonderful, right? Pillows of chicken? It sounds like something you'd want to curl up with. Or EAT!! So I that's what I did. 
This is a recipe that lends itself to many variations. I like to make something by the recipe the first time to see what I'm working with. Then from there I start thinking of everything I can do with it. 
This recipe, first time around,  is an incredibly delicious meal. I LOVED it. Of course I have lots of ideas. 
But first, the recipe adapted from "the Girl who ate Everything": 
Pre Heat Oven to 350
8oz softened Cream Cheese  
1/2 C Sour Cream
Mix the two with a mixer
ADD
S & P
1 1/2 T dried Chives
1 1/2 T fresh onion minced
(I didn't have any dried chives, so I used 2 1/2 T dried minced onion and no fresh)
3 Chicken Breast Cooked and diced)

2 (8 oz) Cans Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
1/4 C Melted Butter
Italian Bread Crumbs

Gravy 
1 (14.5 Oz) can of Cream of Chicken Soup
1 package of chicken gravy mix.

Make a square out of two crescent roll triangles, really close the perforation. Put about a quarter cup of chicken mixture on center of crescent square and wrap pastry up around it. Dip 'pillow' into melted butter and roll in bread crumbs. 
Bake in oven for 20 - 22 mins. 

Mix cream of chicken soup, 3/4 can of water and the gravy mix. Heat through, pour over your little pillow of poultry deliciousness. 
You will notice in my photo, the scrumptious tomatoes I roasted last night. Oh heavens, I love a roasted tomato.

Now, my notes.... 
I mixed the cream cheese and sour cream and seasoning and chicken in the food processor. It came out like a chicken salad, which is fine, for this purpose. However, next time (and there will be a next time) I will leave it chunkier. 
The sauce I was not crazy about. A little too 'processed food' taste. So I will tweak that.  Here are some ideas I am tossing around for next time:
A southwest twist. Use some avocado instead of some of the sour cream. Add some cilantro. Maybe some adobo to the bread crumb mix and then top it with some salsa. 

Or Maybe follow the recipe and use the chives and onion, then add some blue cheese. Boy this could go on and on. 
Let me post my pic and go have a brandy. Thanks for sticking around! 

No comments:

Post a Comment