Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Dad's Night

Wednesday night is dad's night. My dad comes for dinner every wednesday. Sometimes we go out, but more often than not I cook. He will be 85 next week, and I am always amazed at the new things I learn about him when I get him talking. Tonight I got him talking about his navy days. And he pulled out some things I had never heard. He talked about a guy trying to hide behind a water cooler when the battle station alert sounded. He also talked about having to clean the bathrooms, but locking the door and keeping sailors out. He said that was the most fun they had. He talked about my uncle, his brother in law, that died many years ago. It was a really good wednesday.
It is a fact that his appetite is not what it used to be. And he does not share my adventureous nature when it comes to food, so I always make sure wednesdays suit his palate. Often times he likes tacos, like my mom used to make, with ground beef and crunchy corn tortilla shells. Sometimes I just make us a nice salad and heat some crusty bread. And sometimes, like tonight, I get a big ol' pot of clams or mussels going. He and I really enjoy a pile of shellfish.  If it's clams, I just steam them and make garlic butter for drenching. (its not just dipping!) But with the mussels, I always try to find interesting flavors to steam them up with. I found this recipe in a newsletter I subscribe to called Tasting Table.
OH MY GOODNESS! It was absolutely divine. Best Mussels I have had and there was no butter in sight! So besides the conversation, dad enjoyed the food (score!) and he also enjoyed the reminiscing. Let me correct my earlier statement, it was an AWESOME wednesday.

Pot Roasted Mussels from chef Jordan Toft of LA:
This recipe calls for an aioli, don't skip this (as I was tempted to do), it really completes it.
Aioli-
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 medium lemon
3 cups olive oil
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
S &P

Mussels
1 cup
4 shallots thinly sliced
2 pounds mussels, rinsed and bearded
1 long red chile, thinly sliced (seeds optional)
1 medium lemon
S & P
1 cup chopped flat leaf parsley

Make the Aioli in a large bowl; whisk together egg, dijon, and juice of one lemon. While whisking add 1/2 cup of olive oil, in a drizzle until emulsified. Slowly whisk in remaining 2 1/2 cups oil in a steady stream. Whisk in garlic , S&P. Set Aside.

Mussels- Place one cup of oil & shallots in a large stockpot and turn the heat to high. When the shallots begin to sizzle (after 4 to 5 mins) stir in the mussels and the chile. Cut the lemon into wedges, add to pot and stir in. Season with S&P, cover and cook until mussels fully open, about 5 mins. Shake the pot or stir a few times during cooking.
Remove the pot from the heat and stir in 3/4 cup of parsley and a few large dollops of aioli. Transfer to a large bowl and top with more aioli. Sprinkle with pepper and the remaining parsley. Serve with crusty bread.

I am so sorry I was to involved I didn't take a picture, and it was gorgeous. But take my word, this one makes a great presentation.


No comments:

Post a Comment