Monday, July 18, 2011

Cooking, cooking, cooking

So many things to cook!! How do I love cooking? Let me count the ways...
I love:  the prep, the ceremony, the ritual, the sacredness, the emotion, the meaning, the flavors, the combining, the mixing, the experimenting, the creating, the eating, the eating, the eating!!
Really, I do love so much about it. I love how things are intrinsic to where they come from. How wheat tastes like the water that it is near, how coffee has notes from the trees that shade it, how juniper tastes, how honey tastes like flowers the bees pollenate. I love how chinese food has so much meaning, how it can be made from one thing to look like another, how french food just oozes romance.
When I can take a handful of ingredients and transfom it into delicious textures and flavors, I feel on top of the world!
So, this evening, I took some regular old salad veggies, some regular old egg, some flour and POW! Next thing I know, Radish Fritters! OMG! So delicious. There was a couple of other ingredients, not the least of which was my super excellent curry powder (home made, toasted and ground). Boy those fritters were incredible. David really liked them. I think it was our first meatless meal! Along with some radish and cucumber raita, for a cooling contrast. Yummy!
After dinner, I needed to make something to take to work tomorrow. We have created a small potluck group. We all want to fix things that our families wouldn't care for, so we created a group to cook for.  I have been wanting to make Farro, a whole grain I have been reading about. So I made a farro and white bean mashup. Leeks, garlic, olive oil, farro and cannelini beans. And the bright splash of Lemon zest.
Yes, this was a good night of cooking. I will post the recipes a little later this week, with my photos. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment