Saturday, July 30, 2011

I'm Back!

We had a lovely vacation. A whole week, saturday to saturday on Anna Maria Island. We spent most of the time laying by the pool and watching the sunset on the beach. I poked around a few shops, got my annual souvenir from Ginny and Janey's and really relaxed.
This is a lovely "old Florida" beach town, established in the early 1900's. Most of the neighborhoods were established full on in the 60s, but there are a number of historic homes and sites on the small island. But having been vacationing there for abut 16 yrs, we have seen lots of development as well. Its to be expected. I remember when I lived in the keys, one of the things you heard a lot, was "everyone wants to be the last one there". Which is true. You want to get in and enjoy the place and then have all further development stop. It just doesn't work that way. But I will keep going and enjoying the amazing little place it is and if I ever win the lottery, I will buy in and hope I am the last one in. :)
We came home this morning. One thing that runs true in my family, we do not try to eek the last minute out of a vacation. When it is time to go, we are up and out! ASAP. Today was check out by 10am, we were out the door by 8. As soon as we woke up and got the car packed, we were headed home. We would have headed home last night if we had thought of it before a few beers.
But we are home today and my sweet Dad brought me some beautiful steaks so I didn't have to go to the store. I did end up running out and getting some potatoes to bake.
Last week my dad brought me some blue cheese. So tonight I made some Blue Cheese dressing and had a wedge salad. Then we fired up the little grill, put the steaks on and baked a couple of potatoes. David has some seasoning called Citizen Kane, (from a famous St Louis restaurant) and we sprinkled that on the meat.
What a delicious and simple meal. Perfect for the first day back from vacation.
I will be back in the kitchen this week. So stay tuned. One thing I can't get out of my head is some fries we got at a restaurant called 'Eat Here'. French fries with gravy and parmesan cheese. Oh My!! I may have to come up with those for my dad this week. Maybe I can get him to eat more than a few bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment