Monday, July 4, 2011

Red White and Blue (ok, just red)

Happy Birthday USA! It's July already! How about that? July 4th always feels like the mid point of summer. In fact Joann Fabrics had the pumpkins out already for september. I LOVE TO SEE THAT. Fall being my favorite season. But, back to July, I have come to enjoy summer more now. Since the time I got out of school, summer always seemed like something to get through until fall made its way back around. But as you get older you realize you better enjoy every day, not just "get through them" because they fly by quick enough as it is. So I try to eek out a decent tan while enjoying the beach, (yes I still love the bake) and otherwise enjoy air condtioned activities. And really, it is a nice quiet time in FL that you don't have to fight crowds and traffic, that is worth getting out for.
As for Independence day, I am a staunch patriot, and a firm supporter of the ideals of this country. With hat being said, I have to admit, the main thing I like about the 4th is a day off. I do not like fireworks displays because that means big crowds of people, and hot muggy weather. I do, however, like to commemorate the holiday with an appropriately festive meal. Today I used the extra day off to do some meal prep for the week ahead as well.
I was excited to see a recipe in the St Pete times, (they took it from a book called 'Fire it Up') for a cherry salsa with pork tenderloin.
Cherry Salsa?? WOW! That sounds all american and red and festive. I realize salsa is Mexican, but we have managed to Americanize it to the point that it is ubiquitous, so to make it from Cherries? All American in my opinion. The pork was marinated in cilantro and lime for the most part, The slasa had all the usual suspects except tomatoes. That's where the cherries come in. Cherries, Jalapeno, Cilantro, Lime juice. Does that not sound soo good?? Of course it does! Well, in all honesty, David didn't think so, but I was committed.
I first made the salsa so the flavors had plenty of time to marry. Then I did the marinated pork tenderloin and put it on the grill.
Let me just say, David and I both really enjoyed it. The salsa, while not sweet, was a bit fruity,  the cilantro and the other ingredients kept it from seeming like a dessert. I loved mixing those cherries in with our dinner. It was such a Summer/ July luxurious meal, and was so very simple and tasty. I am always so thrilled when David is skeptical  of my dinner plan, but becomes an enthusiastic participant. Trust me, there are times when it doesn't go that well, so when it does, I relish it.
The newspaper had some more of the recipes from that book, and they are on tap for later this week, stay tuned. Meanwhile check out the cherry salsa and try it one night this week. It will feel like a special meal, I promise. Fire works will go off, you'll see.

As adapted from the St Pete Times from the cook book "Fire it Up":
GRILLED PORK TENDERLOIN w/ CHERRY SALSA
Pork Marinade
1/2 C Chopped Cilantro
1/4 C Minced Shallots*
4T Lime Juice
1/4C Vegetable Oil
2- Pork Tenderloins, about 2 1/2 lbs total.
Place first four ingredients in a large plastic bag to combine, then add tenderloins. Marinate 15- 20 mins or up to overnight.
Cherry Salsa
1/2 C Cilantro
1/4 C Shallots*
2 T Lime Juice
1/2 lb fresh Cherries, pitted and halved
1 fresh Jalapeno, thinly sliced
1 T Olive Oil
S & P
Combine all ingredients.

Grill the pork and serve with cherry salsa.
I also served some grilled romaine, my favorite salad these days.
* I used mild vidalia onions, instead of shallots.

No comments:

Post a Comment