Sunday, July 17, 2011

Summer dreams of fall

Fall is my favorite time of year. Summer has always just been something to be tolerated until fall came along. Then the holidays are afoot and the weather becomes wonderful and the next six months are just a pleasure! As I get older, it seems silly not to enjoy every time of year. Each season has so much to offer. There are many summer fruits I revel in. Berries & cherries are made for baking, and figs?? Come on, food of the gods. Now, there are some summer fruits I just can't enjoy. Stone fruits are not to my taste. And melon, seems a waste, but they are not at all appealing. But none the less, the berries and summer squash are nothing to sneer at. So I have started taking advantage of the great pricing, by freezing the berries. I will have them later in the year when I need a perk to muffins and breads. I am trying all kinds of fritters, radish and yellow squash having starring roles in these. I will post more detail later this week.
I do really enjoy the beach and pool in the summer, and healthful or not I still love getting my summer tan! I love the way my yard gets so lush in july and august. I also love the afternoon showers florida is notorious for in hurricane season. I certainly hope we do not have to worry about hurricane warnings, those are no fun! But summer still has an awful lot to offer. And I crave lost of fresh seafood in the summer. Mussels, shrimp and crab. We have begun a tradition of renting a beach house in Anna Maria in the summer, that is really something to look forward to. And the local shops with their amazing oils and cheeses and breads have taken on a very seasonal feel for me.
All in all, I try to look forward to each and every day, summer, fall or winter. But I can't help that fall is my favorite. The idea of kids going back to school, and pumpkins in the markets with the winter squashes (Sweet Dumpling, how do I love thee, let me count the ways) and indian corn. Mmmmmmm. I am a fool for fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment