Thursday, June 13, 2013

Avocado Delight

You remember when your parents told you  you weren't old enough for some foods? 
It's true, very true. It took me years to fully appreciate Avocados. I have always enjoyed guacamole, but the actual fruit itself, I was not a fan. The flavor didn't seem worth the mushiness and just so slight sliminess.
But now, NOW! The avocado has become a daily treat. I have it with my eggs, with potatoes, with tomatoes in salads. 
I came across a recipe yesterday as I was trying to find a crab dip recipe. It mixes lump crab with guacamole! Perfect!
this is an Emeril recipe, for 'Kicked Up' guacamole. I have adapted it somewhat, because it seems there is never enough seasoning for me. Which is the easiest thing in the world to fix. 
This was really good with tortilla chips. I bake my own from corn tortillas  I buy at the grocery store. I usually get 6 wedges from a small tortilla, and bake them at 350 for 12 mins. 
I feel better about eating them than I do the bags of chips. Mostly because of my Weight Watcher's habits.

So here is the adapted recipe from Emeril on Foodnetwork.com:

3 large, ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/3 cup minced cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 cup minced red onions
1/2 cup finely chopped seeded tomatoes
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 pound lump crabmeat, picked over to remove shells and cartilage
Tortilla chips, for dipping

I added: Cholula Hot Sauce, ground coriander, and extra cumin and jalapeño.

The way he directs you to make this, seems a little unnecessary. I don't propose to question Emeril, I just didn't get this particular direction. So, here are my directions:

I simply took a 1 avocado and the crab meat and set it aside. Everything else got mashed up together. Then I took the remaining avocado and chunked it up and stirred in the crab meat.


It was very good and well received by the poolside group I made it for. Even one friend who normally doesn't care for crab was eating and enjoying it and was surprised that it was the crab that added that sweet extra dimension. 
Lump Crabmeat has a sweetness and richness to it, which is why so many recipes call for it. 
If anyone reading this is local to the Palm Harbor/ Oldsmar area, the Lobster Shak on Hillsborough gets 1 lb containers of shelled lump crab about once a week. I used it once before to make crab tacos. Its a great deal and the flavor is wonderful. 



No comments:

Post a Comment