Monday, June 10, 2013

Green (Paper) Thumb

I love flowers. LOVE the variety and look and the way they each grow with the most amazing detail. Flowers make people happy. They are beauty personified. When you get one with a pretty scent, its even more pleasurable to have them around.
The problem with flowers is they can be very expensive. I would have bouquets around the house all day, but they don't last long enough and I tend to put my disposable income into other craft supplies, like paper. I as strongly about paper just about as much as I do flowers. So what could be better than flowers made out of the most beautiful papers?? Even using the printed pages of a book, turns that most basic fonts into a work of beauty. I recently came upon a site with a template for paper flowers and I immediately set to work.
My niece is a librarian. She is also planning to be married. I wanted to try to make some flowers for her out of the pages of books.
I started with an old book I bought specifically for scrap booking. It has a great shape to it and the subject matter is the civil war. There are brilliant illustrations, which might make you ask, why cut it up?? Well, because it has such great illustrations and the pages are big is why I will cut it up.
You can see in these first two pages, the template. I printed it on plain paper and then on the page from the book. The one downside to the pages from this book, is the text stops short of the whole page, leaving predominately white petals on the two pieces.



But the first attempt didn't suffer much from the white side of the paper. 
 This second attempt, though, is really so much more interesting. I went with the illustrated side of the page instead of the texted side. I really love the way that came out.


Now, obviously, beautifully colored paper would provide slightly more realistic results. But I intend to keep experimenting with various patterned pages. Just for fun. 
Maybe even mix different prints in one flower, creating a quilted flower effect. Hmmmm, I'll keep you posted. 
The link for the template page is: 
http://www.elli.com/blog/freebie-friday-diy-paper-rose-templates/
If you try it out, send me pics, I'd like to see how you do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment