Thursday, June 6, 2013

Summer Eats

As it gets hotter outside, rather than retire to the AC, I have spent more time outside, at the grill!
We got a new Weber that uses charcoal, our preferred fuel. The bonus is it has a small propane starter. Press a button, you get flames to light your coals. So easy. And the grill is just the right size for the two of us. I have been grilling 3 nights a week, minimum.
I have been fixing blackened fish (using my cast iron over the flames). Quinoa stuffed poblanos were on the menu, delish! I have done some Cubanelle peppers and some Hungarian (Very Hot) wax peppers which David loved. Chicken and Pork loins. YUMM! My favorite spice for a meat rub lately is Fennel. I've loved fennel for a very long time. Using it fresh sliced, or the leafy top, and definitely the seeds. Most recent, I am crushing the seeds in the spice grinder and rubbing it on pork and chicken. I add some coriander sometimes. Sometimes red pepper. ALWAYS Kosher salt. And I have switched from spray oil to using coconut oil and grape seed oil.
So all this is leading to a recipe I made tonight....
Grilled Potato salad. Holy Cow! This was so good. I have never been a potato salad fan. All that mayo and stuff, not my scene. But the sound of grilled potato salad really struck a cord. I got this recipe from Food and Wine and tried it tonight with some chicken and peppers. Seriously, people, this was amazing. the dressing was delicious!!!
Please try it. Id love to know what you think.

Creamy Cucumber and grilled Potato Salad
Adapted from Food and Wine

2 lbs small Red Bliss potatoes (about 12)
kosher salt
1/3C  Creme Fraiche or Fat free Mayo or Fat free sour cream or a combo
2 T    Red Wine Vinegar
1.5 t   Sugar (maybe 1t would be enough)
1 t      Dijon mustard
1 t     Celery seed
1       small garlic clove minced
1/4 C  Grape seed oil
Pinch of crushed red pepper
1 t finally chopped fresh Oregano
1/2 C chopped parsley, plus 1 t minced.
1     English cucumber ( I used 1.5 regular cucumber, seeded)
1/3 C Red Onion, thinly sliced ( I will use more next time)

Boil potatoes about 15 mins, until just tender. Let cool and slice in half.

In a large bowl, whisk together Creme Fraiche (or whatever you use) vinegar, sugar, mustard, celery seeds and garlic. Then whisk in oil. Stir in oregano, 1 t parsley and S&P.

Brush potatoes with oil, season with S&P and cook cut side down on grill until charred. Let cool slightly.

Toss with dressing then fold in Cucumber, red onion and 1/2 C parsley.

ENJOY!!

I'm also posting the recipe for the Quinoa Stuffed Poblanos. This is such a healthful and delicious meal, there is no reason to not eat well and healthy, its just too good.


  1. Quinoa Stuffed Poblanos Adapted from Food and Wine
  2. 1/2 C Red Quinoa (cooked)
  3. 6 Large Poblanos
  4. 2 Ears Corn, shucked
  5. oil for grilling
  6. 1/2C walnuts toasted and chopped
  7. 3 scallions, thinly sliced
  8. 2T chopped Cilantro
  9. 1/4C finely diced Mozzarella  (I avoid a lot of cheese so I skipped this)  

Rub poblanos and corn with oil and grill. When Poblanos have blistered, remove to covered bowl and sweat 5 mins. Then remove skin. When corn is charred scrape corn from ears.

Mix corn, walnuts, scallions, cilantro and cheese if using, and add cooked quinoa.

Remove tops from poblanos and fill with quinoa mix. Use tooth picks to secure tops and place on grill.
Turn until heated through, about 15 mins.

Food and Wine recommends a Romesco sauce, which I did not add or think was necessary. Suit yourselves.


EAT WELL! And tell me about it, Id love to hear.




  1. 1/2 cup red quinoa
  2. 6 very large poblano chiles
  3. 2 ears of corn, shucked
  4. Extra-virgin olive oil, for grilling
  5. 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
  6. 3 scallions, thinly sliced
  7. 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus sprigs for garnish
  8. 1/4 cup finely diced fresh mozzarella
  9. Salt
  10. Freshly ground pepper
  11. 1 1/2 cups Grilled Romesco Sauce

SUGGESTED PAIRING

Zippy Vinho Verde.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

No comments:

Post a Comment