Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Continuing a theme...

Last night I made Potstickers with my wonton wrappers. Because I had so many wrappers left over, (too be honest I didn't know I had an unopened pack and bought another, so there are loads!) I decided to make cheater ravioli. I say cheater because I didn't make my own pasta. The wrappers are much lighter than standard pasta which I prefer. That way I can eat more of the filling and not feel so weighted down after.
I wanted to try a few different fillings because I like spinach and my husband doesn't. So, I started with a basic filling of ricotta and mixed in minced garlic, basil and parmesan. Certainly I used s&p, but I prefer kosher salt. It seems it should be an unspoken rule that you don't have to write salt and pepper, because it goes in EVERYTHING!!. So, from now on, that's my new rule.
From this basic mix, I created 3 different fillings.
In one bowl I had some fresh cooked, chopped spinach.
In the second bowl I had some ground chicken that I had cooked with garlic and onions.
the third bowl contained some roasted zucchini I had made the night before, and I chopped it up. To each of these I added the ricotta mix. No measurements tonight, sorry, just mix it up to taste.



















So I laid out the wontons, added about 1 1/2 teaspoon of filling and folded them and sealed with a bit of water.
I brought a very large pan of water to a boil, then reduced it to a simmer and slid in the little gems. It only takes a few minutes. They started half floating at the top and then I pull them out.
Its good to sprinkle them with a bit of oil or they will stick together.



 I like to make my own marinara. I slow cook about 6 diced tomatoes with garlic in a skillet. When close to done I add a half a handful of chopped onion. I like the onion to be present. Then at the end I stir in about 1/4c of butter. I laid this on a plate and piled the ravioli on top.




I topped it with additional parmesan because I could. 
I don't typically make recipes from the Italian side of the spectrum. My husband doesn't favor it and speaking specifically of pasta, it just seems too heavy. This was a hearty, satisfying meal, that even on a sultry summer evening, was light and fresh. 
My husband is really starting to come around to my way of eating too, he liked it more than I expected!
Its only taken me 18 yrs, patience pays off, my friends. 






No comments:

Post a Comment