Monday, June 3, 2013

Gatsby, Old Sport

I threw a 'Gatsby Lawn Party' this weekend. With a month of unemployment, I was able to immerse myself in the preparations, and I spared nothing! It was the best event I have thrown and it was the most fun and creative I think I have been in ages. 
I tried to get as many details of the period as I could to give the atmosphere of a 1922 lawn party. 
First the invitations. I used quotes from the movie...
'And so with the sunshine and great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer.'
And then, below the details, 
' I like large parties, they are so intimate. At small parties there isn't any privacy'.
After I made the flower garland I used more flower cut outs as confetti and sprinkled them in the envelopes. 
I printed old magazine covers and covered my magazines with them.
I framed old photos of my family and laid them out among the ferns by the buffet.

I decoupaged old tv trays for lawn tables.

Signs for the beverage stations.



 Set up the patio.
 Hung bunting and lanterns through out the yard and put up badminton and croquet.



Set up the bars.



Used Chalk board paint on clip boards and picture frames to write out buffet selections and drink recipes.
The buffet served, smoked chicken and brie sandwiches, deviled eggs, gazpacho and smoked salmon. 
I served french macarons and shortbread in 'Sweet Lulu' polka dot cups.

I made a kick ass photo prop and invited some amazing people. 




























 As look look back at the photos, (which I touched up for antique effect) I feel for a brief moment, I could actually hear Zelda Fitzgerald laughing and making drinks!



No comments:

Post a Comment