Saturday, June 8, 2013

First Friday!

Its the first Friday of June, 2013. And to me, that also seems like the first Friday of summer. Most kids are out of school by now so Friday isn't the same in the summer. But it will always and eternally be the jumping off point to the weekend.
Even being unemployed, Friday means two days that I don't have to worry about job hunting and my husband is not working so we can relax.
I try to keep busy these day and stay active. Not get in a rut or feel down because I'm not in the 9-5. And not sit and watch endless movies either, which can be tempting. Not TV though. Daytime TV does nothing for me. It kind of numbs the mind. Which is fine if you're sick, then it doesn't matter whats on, the drone will help you sleep.
Today I did more straightening up around the house. I admit to being very slow cleaning after a big party. So I'm still getting the Gatsby feel out of the house.
But I also wanted to do some food stuff as my sister has recently been in hospital and is home now so I want to do something to help her relax.
So I decided to smoke some chicken. We have a digital smoker and it feels like a waste of smoke and effort to do small bits. It seemed like a good time to cook some chicken for us and for my other sister. I fired up the smoker and got to work on the chicken. My latest rub, which I may have mentioned, is ground fennel and I threw in some coriander. And salt and pepper. I rub that in with some coconut oil and slide it in. Smoking NOW!
While that was going, I boiled off some eggs for deviling and got to work on some muffins. I made banana muffins and some Lemon poppy bread.
When I was pouring the banana muffins I was thinking I would do an oatmeal and brown sugar crumble to top it with. Along with that I went a little wild and added some of my ground fennel. GREAT flavor perk. Just enough to make you wonder what that amazing extra flavor was that went flying past your tongue.
That was all for Friday cooking, but Saturday, I got up and made biscuits to add to the meal and finished deviling the eggs. Now I know these days there as many devilled egg recipes as there are bloggers in the universe. Mine is simple and full of flavor. I simply use mayo (Fat Free) and Old Bay seasoning. That's just the right amount of flavored ingredients and still all in one sprinkle.
I like to top them with a French's Fried Onion for a texture boost.
So this was my first Friday.
It will be interesting to see what the summer holds for the Croy house.

I'm looking forward to...
My niece getting married in August and I am helping my sister with a homespun reception. I'll keep you posted as we go.
Poolside Cabanas with friends.
July 4th celebration at my brothers.

Here we go, Summertime, bring it on!







No comments:

Post a Comment